Hello everyone. Today I have to make a sad announcement that up to further notice the development of version 2 is closed.
The reason is as simple as disappointing: At the moment we don’t have enough resources and manpower to face the bug fixes and further development of new features. Right now we are a three-person-team.
I’m currently involved in some other and bigger projects so I don’t have the time to test and debug all the issues of Version 2 myself. All I can do is maintain the process and do project management of the process while other developers do the actual work. And right now we don’t have these developers.
So unless someone is willing to voluntarily join our team on a non-profit base, there won’t be a Version 2.1
Since Version 1 is already very stable and bug-free, we still will provide security updates for it, with Catalinux we don’t have much work to do, this I still can manage on my own.
If you are interested in participate in the development of Version 2 and bring 2.1 on it’s way together with us, here is another important point: You need to be willing to accept that we don’t need guys with “fancy cool ideas” right now. We need guys that focus on bug fixing. And we know the bugs which are in Version 2. We work with asana and kanban-orientated project management. This means we have already work packages just waiting for someone to pick them up and work on them. This would be your job, to help us getting the work done. Everything else isn’t important right now because that’s what keeps us from proceeding with 2.1
Unless we find guys who are willing to help us out here, only Version 1 will still be maintained with security updates. I just can’t do it on my own anymore since iBuntu is the smallest of my projects right now.
Maybe we will develop a new version 3 and drop version 2 completely if we really don’t find anyone new for the team- but than definitely never ever KDE-based again. Since all, really ALL our current bugs and issues with version 2 are simply because of this crappy KDE..
I will announce here, if we ever will continue with the development of Version 2. Until than my advise would be to use our Version 1, since there we will still provice security updates and it’s bugfree and stable.
Thanks and so long