If you are currently using iBuntu Catalinux you now can use the newest Version of our iBuntu Update Tool to migrate from Catalinux to Lix Sur without losing your personal data in your home folder or your programs and settings.
Here is a Step-By-Step Guide on how to Migrate:
- Download the newest Version of the iBuntu Update Tool: Link
- Start it and of course first safe your whole System with Timeshift
- Than perform the 2nd step, “Save your packages”. The iBuntu Update Tool now compresses your complete Home-Folder into a File called “Migrator_Backup.7z” which it also will create in your home folder.
- This File you need to save to an external harddrive since you will need to completely format your system and do a new installation of Lix Sur in order to migrate propperly.
- Also save the iBuntu Update Tool to an external harddrive so you won’t have to download it again after the update.
- Now download the newest Version of iBuntu
- Create a Bootstick with Balena Etcher from it
- Install the new Version of iBuntu. Again: You will need to completely erase your harddrive and do a fresh installation.
- Boot into your new installed iBuntu System.
- Copy back the “Migrator_Backup.7z” and the iBuntu Update Tool from your external harddrive to your Home Folder.
- Open the iBuntu Update Tool and Perform Step 6, “Restore your packages”. This will unpack your old home-directory and sync it with the new one and after that perform the re-installation of your packages and programs.
- Sometimes the Installation of your previous programs won’t work at first. If this happens, just perform the following commands in a Terminal and than run Step 6 again:
sudo apt –fix-broken install
sudo dpkg –reconfigure -a
You also can get further information about the Update process from the Help Guide integrated in the iBuntu Update Tool: